Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A Potjie is a South African Stew type meal cooked in a large three legged pot over coals. It is often cooked as port of a social gathering in much the same way as BBQs are. These are awesome to have while camping too. Instructions for cooking in a crockpot are included.
- Heat the oil in a medium-size potjie, then fry the onions, bacon and lamb chops for about ½ hour, stirring from time to time. Cover with lid and leave to cook for about 45 minutes. *if using a crockpot do this step in a cast iron skillet on the stove.
- Open pot, stir, then add layer of potatoes, finishing off with the cabbage. Add the water and lemon juice mixture, herbs and spices. (Don't stir yet).
- Cover with lid and cook for about another 2 hours slowly over medium coals ; (or high in a crockpot) check if there's enough water after a while, and add more if necessary.
- Stir through ; the meat should fall off the bones.
- Serve with brown rice and sweet mashed cinnamon pumpkin.