Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a copycat recipe from La Madeleine's.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless leg of lamb (or shoulder cut 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups beef stock
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into wedges
- 1 whole mushroom, with stems (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, stir lamb cubes in hot oil. When well-browned, add onions and garlic and cook until onions are golden.
- Add tomato paste, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves and cook for another 3 minutes. Add beef stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms and potatoes and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Make sure potatoes are not overcooked. Add vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves, thyme and rosemary.
- Serve over pasta or rice.