1 hr 10 mins
This is a very popular Indian rice and meat dish - a complete meal by itself. While cooking the biryani, the aromas of this dish can reach a couple of houses away!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb mutton or 1 lb lamb, cubed
- 2 cloves
- 2 big black cardamom pods
- 2 small green cardamoms
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons shah zeera
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 nutmeg, ground
- 2 teaspoons garam masala powder
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 lb cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon warm milk
- 1/2 cup mint leaf
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4 tablespoons pure ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 cups water
- 1Heat ghee.
- 2Add all the whole spices.
- 3Give it a few twirls and add the ground spices.
- 4Almost immediately add the yogurt.
- 5Fry for a minute.
- 6To this masala mixture, add all the meat.
- 7Toss around to coat well.
- 8Cook meat till it is well browned and the yogurt is absorbed by the meat.
- 9Sprinkle in salt to taste.
- 10Add water-- immerse the meat completely in it.
- 11Use more or less, as required.
- 12Cook on med-low fire till done and the liquid has all but evaporated (takes about 40 mins).
- 13Keep aside.
- 14Divide the rice in two portions.
- 15Mix saffron with one portion and add half the meat to it.
- 16Layer this rice and meat mixture at the bottom of a heavy bottom pot (you can use the same one that you cooked the meat in).
- 17Add mint and coriander leaves.
- 18Cover with white rice and remaining meat.
- 19Shut the pot tightly.
- 20Cook on low fire for a 10 minutes so as to infuse the aromas of the spices and the flavour of the meat into the rice.
- 21Invert on to a large dish and serve with plain yogurt or raita.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb/mutton Biryani
Serving Size: 1 (443 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.6
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 106.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 32.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
black cardamom pods