Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
"Fresh mint and cilantro pair with the classic Mediterranean spices of cinnamon, cumin, and coriander to liven up ground lamb and plain yogurt. To prepare these as a main course, form larger meatballs and serve with pita and couscous." Courtesy of Chow.
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the yogurt
- 7 ounces whole-milk Greek yogurt (Fage brand, if available)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium lemon, zest of, minced
- Heat the oven to 375°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Form into 30 balls (about 2 teaspoons each) and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until meatballs are no longer pink in the middle, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all yogurt ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix well.
- Serve with the meatballs.
- NOTE: The meatballs can be formed up to 24 hours ahead and refrigerated; they’ll just need an additional 3 to 5 minutes in the oven to cook through.
- The yogurt dip can be made 1 day ahead, covered tightly, and refrigerated.