Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
What is more Greek than a Lamb Meatball Sandwich? Posted for ZWT 9 from three hundred sandwiches.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 whole pita bread
- 1 cup arugula
For yogurt sauce
- 6 ounces Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lemon, zest of
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix meatball ingredients into a bowl.
- Form 2-inch diameter sized meatballs with your fingers (this recipe yields 12-15 golf ball-sized meatballs) Line up the meatballs on a baking sheet, and pop in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- While meatballs are baking, mix all of the ingredients for your yogurt sauce together in a small bowl. Place in refrigerator.
- To make sandwiches, toast pita, and slice pita in half. Slather the inside of each pita with the yogurt sauce. Tuck arugula into each pita.
- Slice meatballs in half and tuck halves into pitas and enjoy.
We really enjoyed this, but couldn't give it five stars. While the seasoning was good (in the meatball), it really needed to be at least doubled to really carry the flavors through to the finished product. For the yogurt sauce we had a similar issue, we liked it but would have liked the flavor to be more pronounced. Either making it early in the day and letting it sit, or adding more seasoning was the general consensus. Also, (not part of the rating) choose a strong pita that will hold up to being filled without falling apart. The arugula was a brilliant choice for a green component- it has lots of flavor on its own, and the slight bitterness is a good foil for the fattiness of the lamb and yogurt. Made for ZWT9.
Very good and a change from the typical meatball sandwich. I forgot the arugula but otherwise made as directed. Served with fruit for a super easy meal. Thanks for sharing!