Recipe by pewpew1982
This is a recipe from the Jan 2008 Real Simple Magazine. So yummy looking,. Make sure you use a thick greek yogurt, it makes allt he difference. If for some reason you are put off by it or can't find it, sour cream will substitute fine (but sour cream makes me go :/ )
Top Review by flower7
Excellent sandwich! I used regular dark raisins and Panko breadcrumbs (they were the only kind I could find for some reason). Otherwise followed the recipe, cooking for 9 minutes total. The meatballs were super tender, juicy and flavorful and I liked the hint of sweetness from the raisins. I agree that Greek yogurt is a must here and while I tend to not like mint with lamb, in this case it definitely works with the other flavors. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced (white and light green parts)
- 4 pieces flat bread
- 1⁄2 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint
Directions See How It's Made
- Place an oven rack in the second-highest position and heat broiler.
- Combine the lamb, raisins, cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the bread crumbs, egg, and three-quarters of the scallions in a large bowl.
- Shape the mixture into golf ball?size meatballs and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Broil, turning once, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Divide the flat bread among individual plates and top with the meatballs, yogurt, mint, and the remaining scallions.