Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very hearty lamb stew. I love the lentils with the lamb, great flavor combo.
- 1 lb boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup dry lentils (8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups hot water
- In large skillet brown lamb cubes in hot oil, drain off fat.
- Stir in carrots, onion, celery, lentils, bouillon granules, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Turn mixture into 2 1/2 quart casserole; add hot water.
- Bake, covered, at 350 till meat and vegetables are tender, about 1 3/4 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Add more water during cooking, if needed.