Recipe by Queen Dana
Recipe by Jeanne Thiel Kelley. Bon Appetit Jan. 2010. Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2010/01/lamb_kofte_with_yogurt_sauce_and_muhammara#ixzz1gvYjC5T2
Top Review by Skip Intro
This is a wonderful recipe that pulls in several different taste experiences into one delicious dish. The meatballs are juicy and spicy (not heat spice but rather the more aromatic spice), the muhammara relish is rich, tangy and sharp, while the tahini dressing brings in a nutty creaminess. Rather than using plain water to deglaze the pan when preparing the red pepper relish, I used the liquid from the jar of peppers. It added a deeper flavor than the water would have allowed for. I also added a bit of garlic powder to the tahini dressing since that is my preference. Overall, this is a recipe that I will be happy to make again and again. I may switch to a 50/50 mix of lamb/beef since lamb tends to cost twice as much. I'd say the servings per recipe (6) is spot on in regards to the fillings. I used Costco flatbreads and each one held four meatballs plus some onions and toppings. One filled flatbread plus a small side salad was a filling meal for our family of hearty eaters.
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup minced of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely grated onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 middle eastern flat bread, 5- to 7-inch-diameter soft round (preferably with no pocket)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided (may need more)
- 2 large onions, halved through core, cut crosswise into 1/4- to 1/3-inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped drained roasted red peppers from jar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses (may need more)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- yogurt sauce:.
- Stir all ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Cover and chill.
- Line large rimmed baking sheet with plastic wrap. Gently mix lamb and next 8 ingredients in large bowl. Using moistened hands and scant 2 tablespoonfuls for each, roll meat mixture into 1 1/2-inch meatballs. Arrange on sheet.
- Preheat oven to 300°F Place large sheet of foil on work surface. Heat large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add flatbreads to skillet 1 at a time; cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Enclose in foil; place in oven to keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer onions to 1 side of large rimmed baking sheet; place in oven to keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to same skillet; heat over medium-high heat. Sauté half of meatballs until just cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet in oven. Repeat with remaining meatballs, adding oil to skillet if dry. Reserve skillet.
- Add roasted peppers to reserved skillet; stir 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup water and 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses. Bring to simmer, scraping up browned bits. Cook until reduced to 2/3 cup, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Mix in parsley. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more pomegranate molasses, if desired. Transfer to small bowl.