4 hrs 30 mins
Paella Pete's Note:
This is a Cypriot dish, many variations and heres mine. Key is to seal the pot well so that the steam doesn’t escape. I use foil and then put the lid on top of the foil. If it gets dry the meat will be tough. If done right, it will be so soft and delicate just falling off the bone.This will serve 6 - so a good one for when your friends come round. A good nibble beforehand is hallumi cheese, cut into fingers, wrapped in parma ham then placed in the oven at about 120c for 10 or so mins. Just keep an eye that the ham doesn’t burn. Gorgous!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use an oven proof cooking pot with good fitting lid.
- 2Heat oven to 150c.
- 3Squeeze all the lemons, rub lemon juice over the meat. Work some of the dried oregano into the meat.
- 4Place all the meat in the pot and pour in the remaining lemon juice.
- 5Sprinkle the rest of the herbs onto the meat.
- 6Remove the papery skin from the garlic bulb and slice it in half across its waist.
- 7Nestle both halves of the garlic down into the pot.
- 8Add a little salt and pepper, add the olive oil.
- 9Finally add wine or water and seal the pot (use foil to create a good seal under the lid). Don't add potatoes yet!
- 10Cook for about 3 hours, checking after two hours to make sure its not dried out. You should find the meat sitting in a inch or two of juice. If you have more than couple of inches of juice then drain a little off and set aside in case you want to add it back. Spoon some of hot liquid over exposed meat to keep it moist.
- 11Prepare potatoes just before the 3 hours is up. These should be peeled and sliced in half along their length. Don't be tempted to cut them potatoes further!
- 12After 3 hours cooking add the potatoes on top of the meat, dont push them down hard into the juice. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt on them and reseal the pot. Put back in the over for about an hour and quarter but turn the temp up a little to 160c. The potatoes should be cooked but not falling apart.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Kleftiko
Serving Size: 1 (748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1244.9
- Calories from Fat 594
- Total Fat 66.0 g
- Saturated Fat 25.9 g
- Cholesterol 312.4 mg
- Sodium 250.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 94.1 g