Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
you can easily make this with chicken as well. courtesy of the NY Times.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions or 4 medium onions, sliced
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger or 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder or 1 1⁄2 lbs leg of lamb, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks or 4 whole chicken legs
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Put butter in a large skillet or casserole that can later be covered, and turn heat to medium-high.
- Add onions, garlic and a large pinch of salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions become very soft and brown, at least 15 minutes.
- Stir in spices, and cook another minute or so.
- Add lamb or chicken, and stir.
- In a bowl, whisk yogurt with cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir it into mixture; if using chicken, add 1/3 cup water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat, then cover and turn heat to low.
- Cook at least 40 minutes (by which time chicken will likely be tender) or longer, stirring occasionally, or until lamb is quite tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, then garnish with cilantro, and serve with basmati rice.
I can't say I enjoyed this as much as the others. I found that it dried out my otherwise juicy cut of lamb leg to the point where I couldn't even taste lamb anymore. It was definitely different, and I'm glad I tried it.
This was most wonderful. The meat was so tender and tasty. I doubled the garam masala and also added a handful of curry leaves to the spices and fried them together. it added a lovely fragrance and i also used flaked almonds before browning the lamb in the last few minutes. This added an extra crunch. definitely a recipe that will be used regularly.
Chia, this is another very good recipe for Lamb. We really enjoyed it. All the spices blend so good together with the yogurt making a delicious sauce for the lamb. I didn't make the rice as we watch our carbs. I will have to try this with chicken. Thank you Chia.