Recipe by JustJanS
I love curry, and this is a good quickie-not too many steps involved in the preparation for the good results you'll get.
Top Review by chia
i just loved this! delicious flavor with minimal effort, my kind of weeknight meal! i added 2 cut up potatoes during the last half hour of cooking time, and served this with basmati rice. i loved the spice mix as well, thanks jan for another great lamb dish
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 kg boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, add the onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until it has softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the yoghurt and all the spices.
- Add the canned tomatoes, a teaspoon of salt, then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the lamb and stir until it is coated.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 1 1/2-1 3/4 hours or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little water if the lamb begins to stick.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a dry frying pan, shaking gently until golden-about 3-4 minutes.
- When the lamb is tender, add the garam masala to the curry and mix through.
- Sprinkle with the slivered almonds and chopped cilantro, then serve.