Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love curry, and this is a good quickie-not too many steps involved in the preparation for the good results you'll get.
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 kg boneless leg of lamb, cut into 2.5 cm cubes
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat, add the onion and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until it has softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the yoghurt and all the spices.
- Add the canned tomatoes, a teaspoon of salt, then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the lamb and stir until it is coated.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 1 1/2-1 3/4 hours or until the lamb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add a little water if the lamb begins to stick.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a dry frying pan, shaking gently until golden-about 3-4 minutes.
- When the lamb is tender, add the garam masala to the curry and mix through.
- Sprinkle with the slivered almonds and chopped cilantro, then serve.
i just loved this! delicious flavor with minimal effort, my kind of weeknight meal! i added 2 cut up potatoes during the last half hour of cooking time, and served this with basmati rice. i loved the spice mix as well, thanks jan for another great lamb dish
This recipe ranks more than 5*'s! I am cooking for DH who is on a carb restricted diet, and this recipe fit his diet. Not only does this taste divine, it smells heavenly. We loved the subtle blending of the spices and the creaminess of the sauce. This is a dish that will definately be added to my t&t cookbook. Thanks, Jan for sharing your recipe.
Like Miss Annie's review before me, This IS a TERRIFIC recipe! Am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I decided to try! And LAMB today was my best buy! Aromatic flavours to savour, can you smell it too? Would invite you all to dinner, BUT WE SCOFFED UP THE LOT TOO! lol THANKS!