Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the old Plaza Hotel in New York City
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 dash red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Soak saffron in water.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Stir in ginger, garlic and onion.
- Fry until onions are golden, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in salt.
- Add the lamb, the red pepper and garam masala and the saffron soaked in water.
- Cook 10 minutes over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook about 15 minutes more, stirring once or twice.
- When the lamb mixture has lost most of its moisture and becomes an almost solid cake in the pan, remove from heat.
- Cool before using.