Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a delicious Persian recipe. The crock pot gives the dish authentic flavor without the all day fuss. Serve with basmati rice.
- 3 medium eggplants, peeled and quartered long-wise
- 1 lb lamb, cut into cubes all visible fat removed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- THE NIGHT BEFORE:.
- Prepare eggplant by laying on paper towels and sprinkling with salt.
- Let sweat for 15 minutes, blot water, turn over and repeat.
- Saute eggplant quarters in non-stick frying pan sprayed with Pam until tender but not limp.
- Store in refrigerator until ready to place in crock pot.
- Dredge lamb in flour.
- Heat oil in same non-stick frying pan.
- Saute lamb and garlic until meat is brown on all sides.
- Store in refrigerator dish along with onions, mint, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper until ready to place in crock pot.
- IN THE MORNING BEFORE GOING TO WORK:.
- Spray crock pot with Pam.
- Place lamb, onion and spices in crock.
- Top with diced tomatoes.
- Stir just to combine.
- Lay eggplants over lamb mixture.
- Pour tomato sauce over eggplants.
- Top eggplants with slices of ripe tomato.
- Cook on low all day, up to 10 hours.
- Serve over basmati rice.
we loved this recipe thank you for posting it
I don't have a crockpot, so that may be why this didn't turn out the way I expected. I had eggplant stew at a Persian restaurant that was just to die for, and I've been looking for a recipe ever since. This was pretty similar - not quite the same, and I can't put my finger on what was missing. Everyone else liked it a lot.