1/1 Photo of Lamb Do Piaza (Lamb With Onions)
1 hr 25 mins
My DH wanted to marry Madhur Jaffery after I first made this from her Indian cookery book. He settled for me once I'd perfected this recipe. Fantastic served with a lemon rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 onions, peeled
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 1/2 cm cube fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 425 ml water
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cm cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 kg boneless lamb shoulder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt, beaten lightly
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1Cut three of the onions into thin sliced half rings, cut the fourth finely. Keep the two types of onions separate.
- 2Put the garlic and ginger into a blender add 100ml of the measured water and blend until fairly smooth.
- 3Heat the oil in a wide heavy saucepan over a medium heat. When hot, put in the sliced onions. stir and fry for 10-12 minutes until the onions turn a reddish-brown colour. You may have to turn the heat down towards the end of this cooking period.
- 4Remove onions when cooked and spread them on a paper towel lined plate.
- 5Put the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves into he hot oil. Stir them for about 5 seconds, now put in the meat and brown the meat on one side.
- 6Turn it over and brown on the other side. Remove the meat and put in a bowl.
- 7Put the chopped onion into the remaining oil. Stir and fry on a medium heat until the pieces turn brown at the edges. Add the garlic-ginger paste. Stir and fry it until all the water has boiled away and you can see the oil again. Turn the heat down and add the coriander and cumin. Stir for 30 seconds.
- 8Now add 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, stir and blend, add all the yoghurt this way, blending well.
- 9Put all the meat and accumulated juices and remaining water into the pan. Add the cayenne and salt, simmer, covered on a low heat for 40 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- 10Add the fried onions and the garam masala. Stir to mix.
- 11Cook, uncovered for another 2-3 minutes.
- 12Turn off the heat and let the pan sit for a while. the fat will rise to the top, remove it.
- 13This dish is great prepared ahead of time and reheated.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Do Piaza (Lamb With Onions)
Serving Size: 1 (397 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 716.0
- Calories from Fat 540
- Total Fat 60.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 121.9 mg
- Sodium 513.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 30.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods