Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
A dish that is a complete meal. Indian spiced lamb with flavourful lentils as an accompaniment. Cooking time includes marinating overnight. The curry sauce refers to Patak's Rogan Josh sauce which is available worldwide. Or any other store bought curry sauce will do.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 350 g red lentils, washed and drained
- 1 liter water
- 1⁄2 bunch mint, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch coriander, chopped
- 2 racks of lamb
- 3 tablespoons curry, sauce
- 1 bunch mint
- 3 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- To Cooks the lentils:.
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Fry onion, garlic and all the spices until onion is soft.
- Add lentils and water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Stir occasionally until lentils start to "mush".
- Add more water if necessary.
- Remove from heat and stir through mint and coriander leaves.
- To Cook Lamb:.
- Place cutlets in dish. Mix curry, mint, yoghurt, brown sugar and pout over lamb.
- Marinate lamb for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius and bake cutlets for 15-20 minutes (medium to welldone).
- To Serve:.
- Spoon lentils into centre of plate and top with lamb cutlets with a dollop of extra yoghurt, spinach leaves and mint on top.