1/1 Photo of Lamb Curry With Fragrant Rice and Raita
The Flying Chef's Note:
This is a different way of doing a curry with great results my family really like this one especially my brother and my son.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg lamb fillet, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoons mild curry paste (I use rajah brand)
- 2 tablespoons hot curry paste (I use rajah brand)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups white rice
- 250 ml water
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules (powder, cube, paste etc..)
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 1prep time does not include fridge time.
- 2Bruising cardamom pods simply means splitting them, do this by placing on flat surface and pressing down on them with flat side of a knife until the pod splits.
- 3Combine lamb with both pastes in storage container or ziploc bag, coat lamb thoroughly in paste and refrigerate several hours or overnight. (preferably overnight).
- 4Heat half the oil in a large saucepan, add onion and cardamom and stir until onion softens, add cumin and stir until fragrant. Add rice, stock, water and coconut milk, bring to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer, cook covered about 20-25 minutes until rice is just tender and liquid has absorbed.
- 5Note: I have had times when I make this that all the liquid is gone and the rice is not quite cooked, just leave the lid on over the lowest heat you have on your stove, stir from time to time until done. Don't add more liquid it will just make rice go soggy.
- 6While the rice is cooking, heat the other half of oil in a large frying pan. Add lamb with paste stir, put a lid on and cook until lamb is done stirring from time to time about 20 minutes.
- 8In a medium bowl combine yogurt, onions and cucumber. This can be made ahead of time if desired.
- 9To serve place rice on plate top with lamb pour some liquid from pan over and top with raita.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Curry With Fragrant Rice and Raita
Serving Size: 1 (592 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1515.2
- Calories from Fat 936
- Total Fat 104.0 g
- Saturated Fat 56.3 g
- Cholesterol 194.9 mg
- Sodium 495.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 54.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mild curry paste