Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This lamb sautes in fresh spinach and spices for about 45 minutes, so use a lean cut without too much fat. From "indian, 100 everyday recipes" by Love Food.
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 lb lamb, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, washed trimmed and chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 red chili pepper, chopped for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat oil, over medium high heat, and cook onions until golden, about 5 minutes; add cilantro and green chiles and stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, add ginger, garlic, chilii powder, and turmeric; stir well.
- Add lamb and stir-fry about 5 minutes; add salt and spinach and cook 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the water, reduce heat to low, and cook 45 minutes; remove lid, check meat for tenderness, increase heat and cook, uncovered to evaporate excess water, stirring well, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish and garnish with red chiles.