Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Instead of the traditional mint sauce, lamb chops are served here with a creamy hollandaise sauce flavored with fresh mint. The sauce is not difficult to make, as long as it is cooked over gentle heat. Enjoy!
- 4 shoulder lamb chops
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
Minted hollandaise sauce to serve
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- salt and pepper, to tast
- Brush the chops on both sides with a little oil and season with black pepper.
- Put the chops under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat, and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium-rare chops, slightly longer for well-done.
- Arrange the lamb chops on warmed serving plates and serve immediately with the warm minted hollandaise sauce.
- Good served with asparagus and a carrot salad.
- Hollandaise sauce: Whisk together the lemon juice, viegar, and egg yolks.
- Put over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk until thick.
- Melt the butter and add, a little at a time, to the egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the fresh mint and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a gravy boat and serve immediately.
- Variation: Lemon and Thyme Hollandaise: Make the sauce as directed, substituting 1 tsp grated lemon zest and 1 tbls chopped fresh thyme for the chopped mint.
- Serve with the lamb chops.
This is so good! First attempt at making Hollandaise, I was getting a little concerned, the mixture was looking like it was curdling, but kept on whisking and was rewarded with a lovely smooth sauce. The colour was great too, as for the lamb chops, cant beat em! Thanks for the sharing a great recipe.
I have never cooked lamb or hollandaise and these both turned out excellent. I used New Zealand lamb. I did not eat any since I don't like lamb but my DH and our guest was majorly impressed. I didn't find the sauce very minty so would add a bit more I think. Made for the Aus/NZ region for ZWT 5 for team Zaar Chow Hounds
This was fantastic! I actually grilled the lamb chops since I need new broiler-safe pans. Will definitely make this again. Made for my teammate ZWT5: Australia/New Zealand Epicurean Queens.