Recipe by quixoposto
source: Michel Chiarello, Fog City Diner, San Francisco printed in the San Jose Mercury News, 3/4/1987
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 bunches basil
- 3 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons asiago cheese, grated
- 2 bunches mint
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 lamb rib chops
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, mince the garlic. Add the basil until very fine. Pour in the olive oil in a steady stream, then add the cheese and process for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Combine mint, wine and sugar in a sauce pan. simmer, uncovered until the mixture becomes syrupy and coats the back of a spoon -- about 7 0r 8 minutes. Strain through a fine strainer and cool.
- When the mint extraction is room temperature, add it to the pesto to desired sweetness. Grill lamb chops medium-rare and serve with about a teaspoon of the mint pesto spooned over each.
- Serve the pesto in a bowl to use on the side.