Recipe by threeovens
A satisfying meal, made healthier with the addition of barley. Barley is loaded with fiber. Serve salad with toasted flat bread ovals, or croutons.
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small lamb loin chops, 1 inch thick
- 2 small cucumbers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, cut into thin rings
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups mixed lettuce greens
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare barley according to package directions; rinse, drain, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Process until smooth, then drizzle in olive oil; set aside 1/4 cup to brush on lamb chops.
- Brush lamb chops with reserved dressing, then season with salt and pepper.
- Broil lamb 5 to 7 minutes per side until internal meat thermometer registers 160 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine barley, cucumber, red pepper rings, onion and parsley.
- Toss with 3/4 cup tomato vinaigrette.
- To serve, top flat breads with lettuce greens, barley salad, and lamb chop; pass remaining vinaigrette.