Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From The Greek Cookbook - by Tess Mallos.
- 6 lamb chops or 6 lamb steaks, thick
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 12 slices potatoes (thick)
- oregano (rigani, fresh or dried) or Greek oregano (rigani, fresh or dried)
- salt and pepper
- 125 g kasseri cheese or 125 g gruyere cheese, sliced
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Grease a frying pan lightly and fry lamb until browned on each side but not cooked through.
- Place each chop or steak on a 25 cm (10 inch) square of foil.
- Drain fat from pan, add butter, onion and garlic and fry gently until onion is soft.
- Spoon on top of meat, leaving butter in pan.
- Place 2 slices of potato on each chop and brush with this butter.
- Top with slices of tomato and sprinkle lightly with oregano or rigani.
- Finish with a slice of cheese on top and fold foil, using double folds to seal each package completely.
- Place close together in a baking dish (cheese uppermost) and cook in a moderately slow oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Serve packages directly onto individual plates.
- Accompany with a tossed green salad.