1/2 Photos of Lamb Chili With Mushrooms (Rick Bayless)
This is from Rick Bayless. It is time consuming, but delicious! Good garnishes are goat cheese, chives, fried or baked tortilla strips and chopped cilantro.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 12 large dried pasilla peppers (about 4 oz total)
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 lbs assorted mushrooms (I use crimini, shitake & oyster)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced epazote or 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons masa harina or 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1Roast the unpeeled garlic on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat, turning occasionally, until soft and blackened in spots, about 15 minutes; cool and peel.
- 2While the garlic is roasting, stem and seed the chiles.
- 3Toast the chiles on another side of the griddle or skillet, 1 or 2 at a time, opening them out flat and pressing them down firmly with a spatula.
- 4In a few seconds, when they crackle, flip them and press down to toast the other side.
- 5In a small bowl, cover the chiles with hot water, and let them rehydrate for 30 minutes, stirring frequently to insure even soaking.
- 7In a food processor or blender, combine the chiles and a 1/2 cup of water, along with the garlic, oregano, black pepper and cumin.
- 8Blend to a smooth puree, scraping down and stirring frequently (add more water if the mixture won't move through the blender).
- 9With a rubber spatula, press the chile mixture through a medium-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- 10Heat the oil in a 4-quart pot over medium-high heat.
- 11When hot, add the lamb and brown thoroughly, about 8 minutes.
- 12Add the chile puree and stir for about 5 minutes as the mixture thickens.
- 13Stir in beef broth and simmer until lamb is tender, about 2 hours.
- 14Add mushrooms, epazote, hot sauce and masa harina.
- 15Partially cover and simmer gently over medium-low, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are soft and the sauce has reduced to coat the meat rather thickly, about 30 minutes.
- 16Taste and season with salt.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Chili With Mushrooms (Rick Bayless)
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.6
- Calories from Fat 271
- Total Fat 30.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 82.0 mg
- Sodium 345.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 24.1 g