Recipe by Honni
This is an adaptation of a lamb shank recipe I found in a magazine. I don't know the name of the magazine and I have made a few changes. This is great on a cold winters night.
Top Review by pinupgirlinthekitchen
This was AMAZING. I added a few vegetables, and some Yukon Gold potatoes, but it was really really scrumptious. Loved it and my boyfriend thought it was "Top Notch".
- 1 kg lamb (diced)
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, dissolved in
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 2 (440 g) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (45 g) can anchovy fillets (diced well)
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes or 2 fresh chili peppers
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- 6 olives (diced well)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss diced lamb in plain flour with salt& pepper.
- Heat oil in large frypan and cook lamb until brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, wine and bring to boil.
- Add beef stock, tomatoes, anchovies, chilli and basil, stir to combine.
- Return lamb to dish and bring to boil.
- Cover frypan and reduce heat to med-low (if it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan the temp is too high) and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionaly.
- When cooked add diced olives and balsamic vinegar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a side of your choice.
- My husband likes this served with mashed potato and green beans.