Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lamb, olives, feta, garlic- all stuffed inside a wonderful calzone. If you're in a hurry, substitute refrigerated pizza crusts, but I think its well worth it to make your own. So yummy! From BHG.
- 2 3⁄4-3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning or 2 teaspoons all purpose Greek seasoning, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup warm water (120 degree F to 130 degree F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pizza sauce or 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives or 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (or both!)
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese or 1 cup shredded provolone cheese (4 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- To prepare garlic and herb dough, in a large combine 1 and 1/4 cups of the flour, yeast, salt, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning and garlic.
- Add 1 cup warm water and oil.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can (I usually never get all of the extra flour to work in).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total).
- Divide dough in half.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a 13-inch circle.
- Transfer to greased baking sheets.
- Set aside.
- For the filling, cook lamb, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender.
- Drain fat.
- Stir in cinnamon.
- Spread pizza sauce on half of each dough circle to within 1 inch of edge.
- Sprinkle meat mixture over sauce.
- Top with olives or mushrooms and feta or provolone cheese.
- Moisten edges of dough with water.
- Fold dough in half over filling.
- Seal edges by pressing with tines of a fork.
- Cut slits in tops.
- Brush with milk; sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Cut each calzone into thirds for serving.