Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from one of my Food and Wine cookbooks. Remove the whole spices before serving. They recommend serving a zinfandel from Napa or Sonoma with this dish
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 lb boneless lamb, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 5 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup cashews, chopped
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, cayenne, cumin, black pepper and ½ teaspoon of the salt. Stir in the lamb.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onion and cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander, turmeric, cloves, cinnamon, rice, and the remaining salt. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the lamb mixture to the pan. Stir in the water and raisins. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer until the rice and lamb are almost done, 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered, until the rice and lamb are just done, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cashews.
Really, really good! I left out the cashews, and only made 1/2 a recipe. The serving portions of this are generous, a half recipe was a least 4 servings for us. I made the yogurt mix the day before and let the lamb sit in it overnight, otherwise followed the recipe as written. We were well pleased, and will be making this again. Thanks for posting!
Fantastic recipe, used it on Friday as part of a dinner party and it was the highlight of the evening.
Great recipe! I doubled the spices and left out the raisins (personal prefrence). I also used slivered almonds because that is what I had. Thanks!