Recipe by Expat in Holland
This is a recipe given to me by a basque friend when I lived in Lake Tahoe. It is a nice stew full of flavor, and great for winter. I love to serve this dish in bowls, with a bit of rice at the bottom. Then the topping of feta just completes this lovely dish.
Top Review by Chef Mish
Looking for a lamb recipe, and being finicky tonight - found this. The base was easy, so I followed the recipe (with extra garlic) to the point of adding the peppers, etc. I had stuff needing to be cooked in the fridge, so added a yellow pepper, some chopped green chiles, instead of tomato paste, just cut up some home grown tomatoes, 1 jalapeno, and about 4 keffir leaves, and a sprinkling of tumeric. Had some leftover broth from the beef I'd cooked the other night, and threw that in ( approx. 1/4 c.)
The home grown tomatoes had plenty of juice so I didn't need any extra liquid. Added a can of drained garbanzo beans with the sliced peppers as directed, and let it cook about 10 minutes. Ladled into a bowl, sprinkeld with chopped cilantro and feta...OMG! The flavors, the extra 'bite' of the jalapeno were all just right! Will definitely make again - and don't be afraid to improvise. Chef Mish.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat oil. Add lamb and add salt and pepper. Brown meat on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- In pot, over medium heat, add garlic and onion. Sautee about 5 minutes.
- In pot with onion mixture add meat, tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir well.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 1 hour 15minutes. Stir every 20minutes or so.
- Add bell peppers and garbanzo beans. Cover and simmer for 15minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with feta cheese.