Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
- 1 cup dried small white navy beans (I use canned and avoid the soaking)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs well marbled boneless lamb stew meat, trim and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plain)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups lamb stock (I use chicken.) or 6 cups beef stock (I use chicken.) or 6 cups veal stock (I use chicken.)
- 18 white pearl onions
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch lengths
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 lb red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh peas (I use canned peas) or 1 cup thawed frozen peas (I use canned peas)
- fresh ground pepper
- Pick over and discard any damaged beans or stones.
- Rinse the beans.
- Place in a bowl, add plenty of water to cover and soak for about 3 hours.
- Drain and set aside.
- Coat the lamb cubes with the flour, shaking off any excess.
- In a large heavy pan.
- over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the lamb and brown well on all sides, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, garlic, beans and stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan three-fourths full of water to a boil.
- Add the pearl onions and simmer for 45 seconds.
- Drain, cool and using s knife, peel of the skins.
- Add the onions, carrots and barley to the stew and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
- Add the potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 30 minutes longer.
- Add the peas and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual bowls and serve immediately.