From homesicktexan.blogspot.com Posted for ZWT5.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder, de-boned (You need 3 lbs of meat after deboning)
- 6 ancho chilies
- 3 guajillo chilies
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 small onion, cut into slivers
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into rounds
- salt, to taste
- 1Toast the chiles in a dry cast iron skillet on medium heat for a few minutes on each side and then turn off the heat and fill the skillet with water. Let the chiles soak for 20 minutes or until soft.
- 2Cut the lamb into three-inch cubes and rub the meat with salt.
- 3Drain the chiles from the soaking water and place in a blender. Add to the blender the garlic, the coffee, the water, the cinnamon, the oregano, the cumin and the agave nectar. Puree until smooth.
- 4Coat the lamb with the chile puree, and let it marinate in the refrigerator for four hours.
- 5Heat the oven to 250°F.
- 6In a roasting pan, coat the bottom with some of the marinade. Place the onions and carrots on top of the marinade and then top this with the lamb.
- 7Tightly cover the pan with foil, and then cook in the oven covered for four hours or until fork tender.
- 8Shred meat with forks and serve in tortillas with cilantro, onions and salsa.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb Barbacoa
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1000.7
- Calories from Fat 678
- Total Fat 75.3 g
- Saturated Fat 31.8 g
- Cholesterol 245.1 mg
- Sodium 233.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 60.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: