Recipe by Missy Wombat
In honour of Mike Moore and his dream of the great NZ lamburger...(Mike Moore is an ex-Prime Minister of NZ and currently head of the WTO)
Top Review by JustJanS
I only had Aussie lamb, but these turned out fine;-) I needed to serve 4 with 500g mince, so added 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and an egg to the mix. The sauce was like a warm salsa, which went really well with the patties.
- 400 g ground lamb (NZ lamb is the best)
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil or 2 teaspoons butter, if needed
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- salt and pepper
- mint or coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, using your hand or a fork.
- Form into four flattish patties and put on a plate.
- Heat a heavy fry pan until very hot and add just enough oil or clarified butter to make the bottom of the pan shine.
- Place the patties in the pan and fry on the first side until deep brown on the bottom, then turn and fry the second side until the patty is barely pink in the middle.
- Lift the patties out onto a warm plate while you make a simple pan sauce.
- If there is no fat in the pan, add a couple of teaspoons, then fry the spring onion and garlic until it softens, then add the tomato and warm through.
- Season and stir in the mint or coriander.
- Divide the sauce between two warmed plates and place the patties on top.