Recipe by BonusMeals
Lamb, apricot and date Koftas given an extra lift with the use of Sumac (Somaq) and Ras El Hanout (Moroccan spice mix)
Top Review by Annacia
I have to start by saying that I didn't use either the soy sauce (just used a bit of salt) or the ketchup. Neither is remotely North African or Middle Eastern and I personally dislike ketchup. That said, I loved the out come of the dish and enjoyed every morsel. The Kofta's were delicious and a treat. I served the dish with Recipe #499599 and Recipe#506812 for a very pleasing meal, Made for PAC, Spring 2014.
- 750 g ground lamb
- 1 small red onion (finely diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped or garlic press)
- 6 dried apricots (finely chopped)
- 8 dried dates (finely chopped)
- 1⁄3 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons sumac (Somaq)
- 1 -2 teaspoon ras el hanout spice mix
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly by hand. The soy sauce is used in place of salt, apparently it doesn’t dry the meat out like salt would and adds extra flavour (tip from the Chris Evans show on BBC Radio 2).
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Take a handful of the mix, place on wooden skewers and mould to shape.
- Grill/BBQ turning gently every couple of minutes until browned and cooked through.