Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Campbells Kitchen. I made this omiting the onion due to allergy reasons. Also works well if you want to serve in individual ramikins instead of one large pie. The original recipe says serves 4 but you could stretch to 6 especially with other sides, depending on appetites of course.
- 800 g potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 500 g ground lamb (we call it mince lean)
- 2 carrots (grated)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 375 ml beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place potatoes into a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and return to the saucepan and add butter and milk and mash until smooth, set to one side.
- While potatoes are cooking heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add mince and carrot and cook until browned and then add tomato paste and rosemary and cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour and slowly add stock stirring after each addition until combined.
- Return to heat and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly until sauce has thickened.
- Spoon into a 2 litre (8 cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
- Top with mashed potato then sprinkle over cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
This is truly wonderful and so easy to make!! My son has just gotten a job where he is landscaping everyday so he comes home starving most days. He walked in today and was like oh, lamb mince meat are we having burgers Yum!! No it is kinda like a shepherds pie recipe.. I got a yuck as he is not into anything like that.. Well the yuck didn't last long after he tasted it. I told him it was a recipe that needed a review and I got a very quick 5 stars.. My hubby loves dishes like this so I knew he would love it, a definite 5 from him.. But the big one was my son loving this so much, that really does say something. I also loved this as the cook in the family I loved the ease of it but the taste didn't dissapoint either. One that will go into our favourites for sure thanks for sharing Pat.. :)
'Great kid pleaser meal. My kids gobbled this up quick smart. None of the photos that I tookl are worthy of posting. Made & review for the Aus/NZ swap 37 Feb 2010