Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
An unusual and popular dish of Muslim origine, cooked in Gujarat and Bombay. You will enjoy cooking this dish as it is so different. The toasted nuts and the use of fresh and desicated coconut give it a distinctive taste.This is a cook's curry.
- 680.38 g lamb, cubed fat removed
- 340.19 g potatoes, cut into large pieces
- 10 almonds
- 8 cashew nuts
- 14.79 ml roasted peanuts
- 14.79 ml chickpeas, roasted
- 9.85 ml sesame seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 19.71 ml coriander seeds
- 9.85 ml cumin seeds
- 12 dried red chilies
- 29.57 ml desiccated coconut
- 118.29 ml water
- 70.87 g fresh coconut, sliced
- 28.34 g tamarind pulp
- 118.29 ml oil
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 12 peppercorns
- 15 curry leaves
- 4.92 ml salt
- 283.49 g onions, sliced
- 709.77 ml water
- 2.46 ml turmeric
- 2.46 ml garam masala
- 3 fresh green chilies
- 118.29 ml coriander leaves
- 14.79 ml mint leaf
- Heat a heavy frying pan and dry roast the almons, cashews, peanuts, chick peas, sesame seeds, and onion and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Now add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and the desicated coconut. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Put all of the toasted nuts and spices into a blender with the water and blend to a paste. Set the paste on one side and wash the blender.
- Cut the fresh coconut into pieces and put in the blender with 2 cups of water and liquidize. Strain the liquid and set aside.
- Soak the tamarind pulp in 1/2 cup water.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the cloves, cinnamon,peppercorns and half of the curry leaves, fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and set aside.
- Add the sliced onions to the pot and fry for 8 minutes Add the meat and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups water and the curry leaves and salt to taste, cook for 40 mins over low heat.
- Add the nut and spice mixture, turmeric and garam masala, the green chillies and the tamarind water. Stir to mix all together.
- Add the potatoes, coconut milk, coriander leaves and the mint, cook covered for 30 mins or till meat is tender.
- Serve with boiled rice and an egg curry.