1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Brian Holley's Note:
An unusual and popular dish of Muslim origine, cooked in Gujarat and Bombay. You will enjoy cooking this dish as it is so different. The toasted nuts and the use of fresh and desicated coconut give it a distinctive taste.This is a cook's curry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lamb, cubed fat removed
- 12 ounces potatoes, cut into large pieces
- 10 almonds
- 8 cashew nuts
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon chickpeas, roasted
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 12 dried red chilies
- 6 teaspoons desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 ounces fresh coconut, sliced
- 1 ounce tamarind pulp
- 1/2 cup oil
- 5 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 12 peppercorns
- 15 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces onions, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 fresh green chilies
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon mint leaf
- 1Heat a heavy frying pan and dry roast the almons, cashews, peanuts, chick peas, sesame seeds, and onion and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- 2Remove from pan.
- 3Now add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and the desicated coconut. Cook for 3 minutes.
- 4Put all of the toasted nuts and spices into a blender with the water and blend to a paste. Set the paste on one side and wash the blender.
- 5Cut the fresh coconut into pieces and put in the blender with 2 cups of water and liquidize. Strain the liquid and set aside.
- 6Soak the tamarind pulp in 1/2 cup water.
- 7Heat the oil in a large pot and fry the cloves, cinnamon,peppercorns and half of the curry leaves, fry for 2 minutes.
- 8Add the potatoes and salt and fry for 5 minutes.
- 9Remove the potatoes and set aside.
- 10Add the sliced onions to the pot and fry for 8 minutes Add the meat and fry for 5 minutes.
- 11Add 3 cups water and the curry leaves and salt to taste, cook for 40 mins over low heat.
- 12Add the nut and spice mixture, turmeric and garam masala, the green chillies and the tamarind water. Stir to mix all together.
- 13Add the potatoes, coconut milk, coriander leaves and the mint, cook covered for 30 mins or till meat is tender.
- 14Serve with boiled rice and an egg curry.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb and Potato Bori
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.3
- Calories from Fat 340
- Total Fat 37.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 60.0 mg
- Sodium 498.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 22.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: