Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
Combine a feast of flavours in this winning recipe for lamb kebabs with garlic sauce and roasted vegetable couscous.
For the kebabs
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 lemon, zest of, only
- 2 ounces pistachios, roughly chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for brushing
For the garlic and olive sauce
- 7⁄8 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted
- 2 ounces mixed pitted black olives or 2 ounces green olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh mint, roughly chopped
- lemon juice
For the grilled vegetables
- 2 red bell peppers, seeds removed
- 1 eggplant
- 2 zucchini
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 4 ounces fine green beans, trimmed
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 garlic cloves
For the couscous
- 8 ounces couscous
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- chili oil, to serve (optional)
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in cold water to prevent burning.
- Combine the lamb, onion, garlic, lemon zest and pistachio nuts in a large bowl, season well and chill for 45 minutes.
- To make the garlic and olive sauce, combine the yogurt, garlic, olives, mint and lemon juice together and season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- To make the roasted vegetable couscous, preheat the oven to 450°F
- Cut the peppers, eggplant and zucchini into chunks of about 2in and cut the onion into wedges.
- Place the prepared vegetables into a large roasting tin and toss with the olive oil. Season well and roast for 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile roughly crush the cumin and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar.
- Add the green beans, garbanzos, garlic and ground spices to the vegetables and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
- For the couscous, place the couscous in a large bowl and cover with the boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork and add the olive oil, lemon zest and juice and half of the cilantro. Season well and toss to combine.
- Divide the lamb mixture into 8 and mould around the wooden skewers. Brush with a little olive oil.
- Preheat a grill to medium and cook the lamb skewers on both sides for 15-20 minutes.
- Spread the couscous out on a large serving dish. Pile the roasted vegetables on top and sprinkle over the remaining cilantro. Top with the lamb kebab, drizzle with a little chili oil (if using) and serve immediately.