Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
Select a cantaloupe that is not too ripe for this simple recipe. Serve with grilled mixed, vegetables; mixed greens salad; Greek salad; Endive salad; etc. Outdoor cookout favourite. Preparation time includes 2 hrs. time for marinating in refrigerator and 30 minutes to bring kabobs to room temperature. Great recipe to prepare and take-along to a picnic and cook on your portable grill, or grills provided at picnic sites. (If you use grill at picnic site, cover the grate with foil, pierce the foil to allow juices to flow through.) A recipe from meat counter, supermarket handout.
- 2 lbs lean boneless leg of lamb or 2 lbs boneless loin lamb
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small cantaloupe
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut lamb into 1-inch (2. 5 cm) cubes and place in glass bowl.
- In blender, combine mint, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and mustard.
- Pour over lamb cubes, tossing to coat well.
- Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours, or up to 8 hours.
- Drain lamb, reserving marinade.
- Peel and cut cantaloupe into 1-inch (2. 5 cm) cubes.
- Thread melon and lamb pieces alternately onto sharp, thin skewers.
- (Note: Lamb skewers can be prepared ahead, arranged on baking sheet with reserved marinade spooned over top, covered and refrigerated for up to 2 hours. Bring out to room temperature 30 minutes before grilling) Place kabobs on greased grill over medium heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved marinade.