Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this on the net, and after a few alterations (lamb chops rather than shanks, less cinnamon sticks) and a lot of editing to the recipe, I made this for dinner. It's great. Quick to make, but a really nice flavour and texture to the sauce.
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 6 whole cardamom pods
- 2.46 ml whole coriander seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 kg lamb chops
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4.92 ml crushed dried chili (or to taste)
- 29.58 ml grated fresh ginger
- 14.79 ml turmeric
- 44.37 ml mild curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 440 g canchopped peeled tomatoes
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 236.59 ml brown lentils, washed well
- 500 ml stock (veg or meat)
- salt (I used about 2 teaspoons)
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml garam masala
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh coriander
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium to high heat.
- Sear floured meat in hot oil; remove.
- Crush the whole spices lightly with the back of a spoon, then add whole spices to pot; saute for a minute or two until fragrant.
- Add garlic, onions, chilli and ginger and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add remaining spices and mix well.
- Add a little more oil and heat; return chops to pan.
- Add tomatoes, potatoes and lentils.
- Pour stock over, add salt to taste, reduce temp and simmer until tender-about 1 hour.
- Add lemon juice, garam masala and chopped coriander to finish.
I scaled the meat in this recipe down to 500gr but kept the rest of the ingredients the same, except added sweet potato and carrots no ordinary potatoes. I like to have the extra gravy or dhal to have on hand to have on toast for breakfast. The flavour was really good, I used in this instance a indian curry powder (flavour would change with different powders) use your favourite. Unfortunately I didn't have any coriander to finish it off with but tasted great anyway. This is something I would definately do again.
A very satisfying curry! I used cubed lamb (800 g) and Durban Curry powder from Monsoon Coast. So good, thanks!!!