1/1 Photo of Lamb and Lentil Curry
1 hr 30 mins
Found this on the net, and after a few alterations (lamb chops rather than shanks, less cinnamon sticks) and a lot of editing to the recipe, I made this for dinner. It's great. Quick to make, but a really nice flavour and texture to the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 whole cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole coriander seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 kg lamb chops
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried chili (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (440 g) can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup brown lentils, washed well
- 500 ml stock (veg or meat)
- salt (I used about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1Heat oil in large skillet over medium to high heat.
- 2Sear floured meat in hot oil; remove.
- 3Crush the whole spices lightly with the back of a spoon, then add whole spices to pot; saute for a minute or two until fragrant.
- 4Add garlic, onions, chilli and ginger and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- 5Add remaining spices and mix well.
- 6Add a little more oil and heat; return chops to pan.
- 7Add tomatoes, potatoes and lentils.
- 8Pour stock over, add salt to taste, reduce temp and simmer until tender-about 1 hour.
- 9Add lemon juice, garam masala and chopped coriander to finish.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb and Lentil Curry
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1080.7
- Calories from Fat 671
- Total Fat 74.5 g
- Saturated Fat 30.5 g
- Cholesterol 185.0 mg
- Sodium 156.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.9 g
- Sugars 5.3 g
- Protein 52.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: