Recipe by JustJanS
A magazine find. I altered the amount of cinnamon and cumin to suit our tastes. Remember our Aussie tablespoons contain 4 teaspoons.
Top Review by Jackie's Mom
This was amazing. I couldn't find ground lamb, so I minced some lamb chops and added ground chicken. I also did not use the mint, parsley, or feta due to allergies. The smell and flavor are incredible. We also used a quick way to pull the bitter juices out of large eggplant. We cut them up into the large strips and let them soak in salt water for 15-30 minutes. Then, we rinsed off the eggplant and made the recipes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g ground lamb (mince)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100 g pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 large eggplants, ends trimmed
- 100 g feta cheese
- lemon wedge, to serve
- extra parsley or mint, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a pan and cook the onion until soft. Remove from pan.
- Heat the remaining oil and cook meat and spices until well browned-breaking the lumps up with a wooden spoon. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the herbs, pine nuts, currants, lemon juice and onion, keep warm.
- Heat a chargrill pan until hot. Slice each eggplant lengthways into thin slices-you will need 12 slices in total.
- Brush the slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Chargrill on both sides.
- Place a slice of eggplant on each plate and top with some of the lamb mixture, then a second eggplant slice. Repeat teo make a second layer.
- Crumble cheese over the stack and serve with lemon wedges and a sprinkle of parsley and or mint.