2 hrs 25 mins
This recipe is from, believe it or not, Elsie the Cow in her 1952 cookbook. Elsie says "This dish comes out of the East, probably Syria."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and cube the eggplant, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, rinse and drain well.
- 2Cut lamb into 1-inch squares and saute in butter until brown on all sides.
- 3Place in a casserole.
- 4Fry onion in the skillet until golden brown.
- 5Add onion and eggplant, seasonings and consomme to the casserole.
- 6Brown raw rice in a dry skillet and blend with canned tomatoes and their juice.
- 7Pour over the contents of the casserole.
- 8Bake in a preheated 350F oven until lamb is tender, about 90 minutes.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb and Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.3
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 96.9 mg
- Sodium 329.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 24.5 g