Recipe by Lennie
This recipe is from, believe it or not, Elsie the Cow in her 1952 cookbook. Elsie says "This dish comes out of the East, probably Syria."
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup consomme
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (2-1/2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and cube the eggplant, soak in salted water for 15 minutes, rinse and drain well.
- Cut lamb into 1-inch squares and saute in butter until brown on all sides.
- Place in a casserole.
- Fry onion in the skillet until golden brown.
- Add onion and eggplant, seasonings and consomme to the casserole.
- Brown raw rice in a dry skillet and blend with canned tomatoes and their juice.
- Pour over the contents of the casserole.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until lamb is tender, about 90 minutes.