Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A Food & Wine recipe. Tastes even better the next day.
Make and share this Lamb and Chickpea Soup With Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- 2838.0 ml water
- 907.18 g tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 793.78 g canpeeled Italian plum tomatoes, chopped,juices reserved
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely grated
- 453.59 g boneless leg of lamb, well-trimmed,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 538.64 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 118.29 ml brown lentils or 118.29 ml green lentil (3 1/2 ounces)
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 78.07 ml rice
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- pita bread, for serving
- In a large, heavy pot, combine the water, tomatoes, onion, lamb, chickpeas, lentils, olive oil, tomato paste and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the tomato paste.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup of the soup into the flour.
- Whisk the slurry into the soup and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes longer.
- Stir in the parsley and cilantro.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.
- Serve with warm pita bread if desired.
- The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
A wonderful, rich-tasting soup! I made a few small alterations (only 2 litres of water; 2 tbls of olive oil and 1 tbls of cumin) and instead of adding salt and pepper at the end, threw in two beef bouillon cubes and a handful of black peppercorns right at the start. The fresh herbs are a must, they really bring the flavours together! The servings are very generous - I think this makes more like 8-10 servings (it's a very hearty soup!), which is great, because this really is even better on the second day. :-) Thank you for sharing!