1/1 Photo of Lamb and Chickpea Soup With Lentils
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A Food & Wine recipe. Tastes even better the next day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2838.0 ml water
- 907.18 g tomatoes, coarsely chopped or 793.78 g can peeled Italian plum tomatoes, chopped,juices reserved
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely grated
- 453.59 g boneless leg of lamb, well-trimmed,cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 538.64 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 118.29 ml brown lentils or 118.29 ml green lentil (3 1/2 ounces)
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 44.37 ml tomato paste
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 78.07 ml rice
- 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- pita bread, for serving
- 1In a large, heavy pot, combine the water, tomatoes, onion, lamb, chickpeas, lentils, olive oil, tomato paste and cumin.
- 2Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the tomato paste.
- 3Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the rice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 5In a small bowl, whisk 1 cup of the soup into the flour.
- 6Whisk the slurry into the soup and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes longer.
- 7Stir in the parsley and cilantro.
- 8Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.
- 9Serve with warm pita bread if desired.
- 10The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb and Chickpea Soup With Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.1
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 400.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 25.6 g