Lamb and Carrot Stew (Bredie)
- Heat oil.
- Add all spice, cloves and cinnamon sticks when it starts to sizzle add onions. Braise until a nice golden brown colour. (This is important as it gives and flavour and colour) .
- Add meat, salt, red chili and ginger and braise/simmer meat till dark brown and nearly tender about 35-40 minutes. You can add sugar now if you want to brown meat quicker. Adding water if necessary--only to prevent burning.
- Add sugar, water, carrots and potatoes and green chili if using. Cook over medium heat until meat is tender, vegetables are done and stew is blended about 20-30 minutes.
- Check if salt is correct for you as carrots tend to draw out salt and adjust if it needs to be.
- You may add a few handfuls of frozen peas if you wish.
- Sprinkle nutmeg over stew before serving. Serve hot with rice.