Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a one dish wonder. I recommend using a 10 inch or larger cast-iron pan or a Dutch oven. If you can't find stewing lamb in your area, try using 1/2 stew beef and 1/2 deboned lamb steak or roast for the taste.
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stewing lamb
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb carrot
- 3 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- salt and pepper
- Brown the meat in the pan over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the vegetables and brown slightly.
- Stir in the barely and add stock to cover.
- Place in the oven with a lid on or simmer on the stove for 45 minutes to one hour. Add more stock or water if it gets too thick.
- When meat and carrots are tender and barley is done (think boiled rice) this is ready to eat.
I just made this on the stove. Do NOT add more barley...the liquid ratio is perfect and gives oh some nice sauce. However, the suggestion to add a splash of worestershire sauce is brillant. I also added a splash of red wine and half a teaspoon of powdered corriander and just a pinch of dried cillantro. Delicious!
Yummy comfort food! Only additions I made were a splash of Worcestershire Sauce and to thicken the broth a bit with flour after it had cooked. I will be adding at least 2 times as much barley next time. I christened my new cast iron dutch oven with this dish! Thank you!!!