Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The butterbeans in this dish give an interesting and healthy additiion, it is a wonderful marriage of dried beans and meat.
- 3 lbs lamb, cubed
- 6 ounces butter beans, soaked overnight
- 1 pint water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 inch fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 black cardamom pods, split open
- 5 cloves
- 1⁄4 pint warm water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- coriander leaves (optional)
- Drain the soaked butterbeans.
- Into a large pan put the butterbeans and the water, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Crush to a pulp the ginger and garlic with the salt.
- Mix together the ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder with 3 tbsp water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions, chillies and cinnamon sticks for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger pulp and cook for 2 minutes Add the spice paste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat, increase the heat and fry for 5 minutes Stir often.
- Add the tomato, cardamoms and the cloves, stir in the warm water, bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 1 hour.
- To the meat add the butterbeans and their cooking water. Bring to the boil, cover the pan and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat stir in the lemon juice and serve garnished with the coriander leaves if using.