Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Aussie lamb version of a Mexican recipe. The lamb mixture can be made ahead of time and frozen.
- 500 g ground lamb
- 35 g taco seasoning mix
- 425 g tomatoes
- 420 g Mexican chili beans (or mexibeans in Australia)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 240 g plain toasted corn chips
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 medium avocados, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg tomatoes, chopped finely
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Cook lamb in a large heated oiled pan, stirring until browned.
- Add seasoning mix, undrained crushed tomatoes, undrained beans and water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, spread corn chips over a large heatproof plate. Top with lamb mixture, sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake nachos, uncovered, in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine mashed avocado with half of the Salsa Fresca in a medium bowl. Drop spoon fulls of avocado mixture and sour cream over nachos.
- Top with the remaining Salsa Fresca.
- Salsa Fresca:.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
We LOVED this recipe. I must say upfront, that I used ground round instead of ground lamb, because that is what I had on hand. Next time, I will try it with ground lamb. I used about a pound and a quarter of meat, so I increase the amount of chips that I used to about 3/4 of a large bag. These nachos were devine. I really loved the addition of the crushed tomatoes and Mexican chili beans, making this recipe special. The salsa fresca was the perfect meld of flavors and I especially liked it blended in with the mashed avocado. I have some of that mixture left over and will enjoy it with chips today. Yum!!