Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a delicious lamb stew. I love artichokes, and this is one of the things I would make for a special Sunday dinner.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boned spring lamb
- 12 -16 artichokes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 2 lemons, juice of, plus
- 1 lemon, sliced, and
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 3 -4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 5 spring onions, minced
- 1 cup meat stock, hot, plus
- 2 tablespoons meat stock, hot
- salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornflour
- Cut the lamb into 1 inch pieces.
- Clean the artichokes, placing them in a bowl filled with water and the lemon slices, so they don’t discolor.
- Slice each artichoke heart in half.
- Pour the oil into a large saucepan and, over medium heat, sauté the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spring onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and add the meat.
- Brown the meat until it becomes a rich, dark colour.
- Add the hot stock and, as soon as it comes back to the boil, lower the heat to medium, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the artichokes, minced dill, juice and rind of 1 lemon, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover again and simmer until the artichokes and the meat are very tender, about 15 minutes longer.
- Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, yolk, lemon juice and corn flour.
- With a ladle, slowly add the hot stock from the meat/artichokes to the egg/lemon mixture, whisking constantly.
- When you have added all the stock, pour the egg/lemon sauce over the meat, shaking the pan to mix it thoroughly, let it thicken slightly for about 2 minutes, and serve.
This is a very rich and dark stew. I think it would be better with a bit less oil, a greater proportion of vegetable to meat.