Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Plan ahead the lamb needs to marinate in the spices for about 4 hours, the complete recipe may be doubled to serve more than four, this is even better the following day, serve with roasted potatoes or rice.
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste) (optional)
- 2 lbs lamb stew meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 3-4 inches long)
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried apricots
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- In a large glass bowl toss the lamb with salt, black pepper, cinnamon, tumeric and cayenne pepper (if using) cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add in the lamb and cook on all sides until browned.
- Add in onions and garlic; cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, honey and cinnamon stick; cover and bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 1 hour stirring occasionally (if the mixture is too thick add in a little more broth or water).
- Remove from oven and season with more black pepper if desired, then stir in apricots.
- Return to oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Discard the cinnamon stick and sprinkle with almonds.
Our family really likes lamb, so we tried this last night. I made double the sauce, which turned out to be good since it cooked down quite a bit. It was really good, and I'll be making it again; the only thing I'll change is that I'll omit the cinnamon stick and use half the amount of turmeric for a milder taste. Thanks for sharing this recipe!