1 hr 20 mins
Slightly exotic, but not unfamiliar - comforting tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless lamb shoulder, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3/4 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped coarse
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup blanched slivered almond, toasted
- 2 cups unconverted long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1In a large skillet, sauté one of the onions in the oil and 1 tblsp of the butter over moderate-high heat until browned lightly and transfer it with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- 2Brown the lamb in batches, transferring it to the bowl.
- 3Return lamb mixture to skillet, add the apricots and stock, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 1 hour, or until lamb is very tender.
- 4In another skillet, sauté the remaining onion, green pepper and the garlic in the remaining 4 tblsps butter over moderate-high heat until the onion begins to brown.
- 5Stir in the almonds, tomato, raisins and the rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until rice is slightly translucent.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste and 4 cups of water.
- 7Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 8In a large casserole, spread 1/3 of the rice mixture in an even layer.
- 9Spoon ½ the lamb mixture over rice.
- 10Top with half the remaining rice, the lamb and whats left of the rice (5 layers in all).
- 11Cook, covered, in 350F (175C) oven until heated through, about 20 minutes.
- 12Serve with yoghurt.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb and Apricot Pilaf
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 756.0
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 107.2 mg
- Sodium 291.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 26.7 g