Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These meatballs are easy to make and their texture is soft and light. Serve with pita bread and salad. Leftovers can be frozen for up to three months.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red onions, very finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 8 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- heat 2 tsp of the oil in a pan and soften the onions for 5 minutes Add the garlic and spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Spoon half the onion mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool. Add the tomatoes, sugar and seasoning to the remaining onions in the pan and simmer for about 10 mins until reduced.
- Meanwhile, add the mint, lamb, apricots and breadcrumbs to the cooled onions, season and mix well with your hands. Shape into little meatballs.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a non-stick pand and fry the meatballs until golden (in batches if you need to). Stir into the sauce with a splash of water and gently cook everything for a few mins until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve with pita bread and salad.