Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted Mom's traditional cornbread recipe to be both vegan and a little moister. This is NOT a sweet cornbread (yuck, what are you yankees thinking?). If you don't care about being vegan, just use two eggs instead of the egg replacer and 4 T water in the recipe. The 24 pieces are tall but measure about 2 x 1.75 inches- our family's preferred shape for both feeling like you have a decent hunk of cornbread but also making the cornbread last. Recipe can be halved (the only difficulty may be the half can of creamed corn).
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar (Optional, but don't worry, as this isn't enough to make the cornbread really sweet.)
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 3 teaspoons egg substitute (I used Ener-G brand Egg Replacer)
- 4 tablespoons water (to be mixed with egg substitute)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar (optional).
- Combine egg replacer and 4 tablespoons water in a jar (tupperware, etc.) and shake vigorously until combined (If using eggs, beat eggs), and add to mixture.
- Add creamed corn and 1/3 cup water, stirring all ingredients until combined.
- Add oil and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a well-greased 7x11 inch (2 quart) baking dish.
- Bake at 450 F for 20-25 minutes, removing when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remember, the longer it cooks, the drier it will be.