1/1 Photo of Lali's Vegan Cornbread
Adapted Mom's traditional cornbread recipe to be both vegan and a little moister. This is NOT a sweet cornbread (yuck, what are you yankees thinking?). If you don't care about being vegan, just use two eggs instead of the egg replacer and 4 T water in the recipe. The 24 pieces are tall but measure about 2 x 1.75 inches- our family's preferred shape for both feeling like you have a decent hunk of cornbread but also making the cornbread last. Recipe can be halved (the only difficulty may be the half can of creamed corn).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar (Optional, but don't worry, as this isn't enough to make the cornbread really sweet.)
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 3 teaspoons egg substitute (I used Ener-G brand Egg Replacer)
- 4 tablespoons water (to be mixed with egg substitute)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar (optional).
- 2Combine egg replacer and 4 tablespoons water in a jar (tupperware, etc.) and shake vigorously until combined (If using eggs, beat eggs), and add to mixture.
- 3Add creamed corn and 1/3 cup water, stirring all ingredients until combined.
- 4Add oil and mix thoroughly.
- 5Pour into a well-greased 7x11 inch (2 quart) baking dish.
- 6Bake at 450 F for 20-25 minutes, removing when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remember, the longer it cooks, the drier it will be.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lali's Vegan Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 92.5
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 216.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 1.5 g